Wednesday 22 July 2015

Recent knitting

Over the last couple of months I've finished knitting a lot of projects!

First up, I finished my first ever sweater! I'm happy with how it turned out, and I learnt a lot along the way, including the importance of tension/gauge, particularly when substituting yarns. I was actually 85% through the sweater when I realised it was way too big for me, so I sadly had to undo half of it to do it again on a smaller needle size. The final result is a nice fit, so I'm happy!




The pattern is the Willard Fair Isle Pullover by Hannah Fettig. The original pattern called for Quince & Co Owl yarn, and I substituted for Icelandic Lett Lopi yarn. Lopi yarn is beautiful, but it is *very* scratchy and very warm. I haven't actually worn my sweater a lot for this very reason! Perhaps when I go back to Europe.

Next up, I finally learnt how to do cables! I made a hat for Malcolm using the great Traveling Cable Hat pattern from Purl Soho with Cascade 220 Heathers yarn. I loved it so much I immediately made one for myself too in a lilac. I'll post pictures soon.



Since I had plenty of Lopi yarn leftover I also made a couple of Blythe sized cable hats, adapted from the Traveling Cable pattern. Both of these hats went to dolly friends of mine, but I may make more for my Etsy shop as well. 





And while I was photographing all my current knitting projects, I also decided to take some nice (non-iPhone/Instagram) photos of my previous projects for my own reference as well. Here they are:


A chunky moss-stitch cowl made from the gloriously soft and cuddly Cascade Magnum. I saw this yarn in a lovely store in Fitzroy, Melbourne, and couldn't walk away without it. It is super chunky, and was an absolute treat to knit. I made one for myself and another for my neighbour. I've been wearing it all winter, so I think I will make another one in a different colour next year!


I never actually took a good picture of my *first ever knitted project*! I made this scarf from the Purl Soho Learn to Knit Kit using bright BRIGHT pink Soft Merino yarn. It's so bright, almost fluro in colour. 


Before I made Malcolm his hat I made him this scarf using the super easy One by One, Two by Two pattern with Erika Knight British Blue Wool. I'm very happy that Malcolm likes it and wears it a lot. I guess now that I've made him a scarf, and a hat, a sweater should be next? ;)



And lastly, here are some good photos of Dirk, the dragon I made in the winter of 2013 while abroad in London! He is still one of the favourite things I have ever made, not only because I used gorgeous Brooklyn Tweed yarn I purchased from Loop in London, but also because the pattern by Lalylala is adorable. I can't wait to make more Lalylala toys - if only I had all the time. 

Looking back over my previous projects motivates me to keep on learning and improving. I've already ticked two things off my list this year - cables and garment knitting - so I'm feeling pretty happy about that. Next up I am planning to make a cropped cardigan using lovely angora yarn, and of course making lots of Blythe hats for my Etsy shop! If you are interested in any of my doll hats feel free to contact me on Etsy and I can make something just for you. 





No comments: